Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"It's such a fine line between stupid and clever."

Note: Just a quick little note...not that anyone gives a shit, but the title of this post has nothing to do with the post itself...just sayin'... Also, it's from "This Is Spinal Tap"...which I watched earlier...

I was fortunate enough to be able to spend the first
half of my spring break in Nashville, TN (well, okay...I was just outside of Nashville's southern tip, but what the fuck ever, it counts) at my near and dear friend Erin's house. I am also happy to report that it was exactly what I needed from life right now. I was so burnt out and downtrodden from school (did I mention that I also had a chest cold and had ALSO lost my debit card for the first time ever last week?) that, as much as I like Louisville--and I really, really do!--I needed to get as far away from here as I could physically and financially muster. So with that, I headed further South and stayed at Erin's...

I went to pack my bags, and Inky told me (via her death stare) that I wasn't allowed to leave Nashville...

Erin is one of those people who, ironically, makes me feel like maybe there is a God out there somewhere. I say ironically because she is one of the most cynical and sarcastic individuals I have ever met, specifically when it comes to religion. But the reason I even say that she has the former effect is because I feel like we only met by a bit of luck granted to me via the universe (something, if I continue blogging about my life, you will realize I don't have much of). It's a simple story, really: we were both going to the same college and got paired as random roommates by chance. A story that would be unimpressive and mediocre if you didn't know that the apartment-dorm-whatever complex we lived at was comprised of (and these are rough figures): 93% athletes for the University of Louisville, 6.2% girls who want to fuck said athletes, and 0.8% normal and/or cool people. With that in mind, it is truly by the grace of God that we ended up as roommates...and I've been a different person ever since.

I don't think Erin influenced me in the sense that she changed me, I just think she's got such a palpable personality that it can either bring out the best or the worst in people...and for me, it brought out the best. She helped me, sort of, let the world see the best in me, without even lifting a finger or realizing she was doing it (I'm sure she doesn't even realize now that she's done it). I had been so shy and awkward (something that was the product of multiple factors, I'm sure, but partly because I had grown up in Eastern KY...in a non-progressive town...around people who not only shunned most of my artistic interests, but didn't give a shit about any of it...of course I was quiet!) when she first met me, and she was the push I needed in the right direction to accepting and thriving as who I am.

I guess I'm mentioning all of this because Erin is someone who I feel like I always learn from indirectly, and on this last trip to Nashville I found myself discovering something very true about myself that I had never really acknowledged: I really, really like weird people. Specifically speaking, weird guys.

Now, you gotta understand...my definition of weird isn't necessarily obscure...sadly, in today's society, I think weird is replacing the term unique. But it doesn't just mean that I like people who are unique...it's people who are so tapped into their life that they say and do weird shit (usually things that most of us are thinking, but never say or do). God, I feel like I'm explaining this poorly...let's see... Well, I don't know. Maybe I can't explain it. Maybe I shouldn't have to. Either you get it or you don't. Being weird is a really beautiful and strange thing anymore, and on that rare occasion that I meet people who qualify in the category, the feeling is indescribable. It's just a shame that there aren't more people who can qualify under this category. I'm still waiting for Mr. Right-ish Weirdo to come along, but until then I'll just have to keep ignoring every fuck I pass on campus or on the streets who doesn't put off that transcendental aura of odd...



Well, I promise I'll start posting shit that is more succinct and compact soon. Until then, hopefully you took something away from this mess of a post. Also, enjoy that pointless music video (which I hadn't seen until I just posted it and good lord, it almost ruined the song for me it was so bleh...is that mean? I still love the song!). I'm heading to Eastern KY for part deux of spring break, so wish me luck. It should be a rip-roaring, grand ole time! Not really. Well, maybe. We'll see.

Also, here's a gpoy with me wearing my new crochet poncho/shaw thing that is the best thing I've bought in years...

1 comment:

  1. d'aww. Natalie, this is such a sweet post. I love it. I'm really glad you had a good time down here, I miss you already.
    I'm also glad that I've helped you. You're right, I don't quite understand it or even notice it, but I'm glad it's helping you in a positive way. Really.
    You have, of course, helped me, too. BUT THAT IS A STORY IN IT'S OWN.

    ReplyDelete