Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Good Morning

I had an older friend a few years ago who was a poet (sorry if that sounds a little pretentious, but she was...she was even finishing her master's degree in poetry), and she used to always talk about how much she loved mornings. She would go to bed around 10:00PM and wake up by 5:00 or 6:00AM the next day. Now, at the time, I thought she was insane. Maybe insane is a harsh word. I guess I just didn't understand why anyone who wasn't required to get up so early ever would...

That is, until I discovered why myself. I went through a bad phase last spring where I quit sleeping for over a month and just spent a lot of time in some weird fog. And while I wouldn't go back to having sleepless nights EVER again, there were a few really beautiful things I took away from the entire situation...one of which being this: I love mornings. Do I get up early? Fuck no. Not often...not as much as I should. Then again, to be fair, I don't usually have a huge incentive to get up and get going most mornings (just bitching cause I still don't have a job).

Ah! I'm digressing! The point is, if you never take the time to wake up and appreciate a beautiful morning once in a while, then you are letting something truly precious fall right through the cracks in life. We all know it can be fun to be a night owl, but when you get up early (and I mean early...think 6:00AM) there is something so beautiful and tranquil about the morning. It feels like a well-kept secret...like you're the only person awake in the world, and it's just you and the earth for a few minutes as it should be. The air is still, unstirred by the bustle of people's movement, and sounds are soft, but clear. It's definitely one of those situations where you have to let yourself give into the morning, otherwise you'll just wind up feeling stupid and cranky and tired.

Anyway, maybe Walt Whitman was on to something all those years ago...

"Give me odorous at sunrise a garden of beautiful flowers where I can walk undisturbed." - Walt Whitman

I think the video has to be opened in another window...and for that, I apologize...

1 comment:

  1. I feel nauseated in the morning. I would rather just fall asleep at 4 or 5 AM and wake up at 2 or 3 PM. Early mornings make me crave cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete